Monday, March 30, 2009

Due Dates for Various Parts of the Midsemester Project

Those of you who were in class today (Monday) got back your thesis statement exercises from the Friday before spring break, your annotated poems, and your short analysis papers. As I discussed in class, everyone has the option of revising everything (in fact, I haven't calibrated the points on the various assignments to any grading scale, on the assumption that everyone will be revising everything anyway). Since your 6- to 8-page papers are due on Monday, there was some anxiety about when the revisions of the bibliographies, annotated poems, and shorter papers would be due. The syllabus says "complete midsemester project due" on Monday (4/6), but I gather that most people would prefer not to divide their attention between revising old assignments and completing the longer paper.

What I suggested in class is that each of you contact me individually to let me know when you want to hand in the revisions. If your longer paper relies little on secondary sources or the poem you annotated, you may prefer to wait until after the Monday deadline to hand in the revisions; on the other hand, if your longer paper builds heavily on the work in your other assignments, you might prefer to complete those revisions before you do the longer paper. Look at what you've got, look at your schedule for this week and next, and then let me know what you would prefer to do. I would rather not accept any work for the midsemester project after 4/10 (there is a third assignment coming up...)--but within that framework, I'm happy to work with whatever arrangement will allow you to hand in your best work.

No comments: